Saturday, August 4, 2007

Matthew Shepard Foundation Making a Difference Youth Award Acceptance Speech

First off I would like to thank the foundation for recognizing me with this award. It is a great feeling to receive an award from you all. I have really come to sincerely care about each of you very much and I truly respect, admire, and appreciate all that you have done to make this world a better place. You make manifest what all of us in the community wish we could do and without your tireless efforts to erase hate, bigotry and intolerance, many souls would still be fighting alone in the dark.
I have to say that I cannot accept this award only in my name, because without the love, support and encouragement from all the people whom have walked with me at one point or another in this journey called life, I would not have come to the same place I am today. There once were many moments where I simply didn't want to wake up the next morning, where facing the new day was crippling to my spirit.
It has always been the deep and endless love I have felt for my friends and family that pushed me to get up and face the world. It is my coaches, my teachers, my teammates and my best friends who all have taught me about how beautiful life truly is and how thankful I am simply to breathe in the cold crisp air and enjoy the setting sun. It is through them whom I have learned to respect life and to cherish every moment I have been given.
And of course, my biggest source of strength and inspiration, my family. To me, this award is as much theirs as it is mine. I've always been given so much love from my family that its hard to imagine where I would be without them. I'm the kind of kid that never needed hero's growing up, because I've always had my mom, dad and sister to look up to. My mom is this strong, courageous person who is genuine through and through. She's always been the one to pick me up after I fall and to dust me off and tell me to keep on moving forward. My dad is one of the kindest and wisest people I have ever met. He's the kind of person most men want to be and is always there for people he loves, especially me. My sister possesses so much strength and beauty as a human person, she inspires me everyday. She's always given herself to others, particularly those who are lonely, and has truly blessed my life with her very presence. As an example of her eternal giving, the first thing she said to me when I came out to her was " I'll carry your partners kids like Feebee from friends did for her brother." My family is so wonderful and I'm so glad they could be with me tonight and I am forever grateful for the unconditional love they give me. In this world I truly know how blessed I am and I wish that every moment for the rest of their lives, they could hear me saying "I love you and thank you so much."
Where I come from, I often am made to feel as if I am a monster. I know people who literally walk in opposite directions as me or cross the street so they can avoid me. The hardest part about that, is feeling so alone sometimes, out of place and untouchable. It is the love of my family, the love of my friends and the love of all of you that gets me through my day and lets me know that I am not alone.
And because I know this, I have been given the capacity to help others know they are not alone as well. It’s not the protests, the rallies, the days of silence, or the national coming out days that move me. It’s the countless hours I've spent talking to people about who they really are. It’s the nights I spent praying in the student chapel with someone who just lost his whole family after coming out to them. The nights I've stayed up till 7am helping a young lady know that she's not along and shouldn't fear herself or the world. Its dealing with issues of attempted suicide and checking in on my friend to make sure he was alright. Its reminding my trans friend that when she has her operation, the people she loves will still love her. The love that I have been given, the knowledge that loving life is a good thing and that knowing who you are and who you love is the most powerful thing in the world, is what drives me to help show them the way.
If I could say one thing to the world, it would be live life to the fullest each and every day and be thankful for everything you've been given, including yourself. Never let anyone tell you, your love is wrong. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said," To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." I believe that with all my heart.
Finally, I just want to acknowledge Judy and say thank you for all you have ever done. Not only have you given of yourself to me and my life, but to countless others with your love and encouragement. Being your friend has truly blessed my soul and I am truly honored to say," I love you very much and I hope for you only the very best."
Thank you so much again and I only hope to bestow this love you have so generously given me on others who need it just as much, if not more.


No comments: